Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Baby Dress Stash Busting

When I first started sewing pretty much all of my “dream projects” consisted of dresses for my dolls, so I bought three floral prints for my three dolls so I could make them matching dresses. However, I never actually got around to making the dresses, and have now been storing this fabric for… I don’t know how many years!

A use for this stashed fabric appeared when I made this baby dress a few months ago using a free pattern we found online. I really liked it, and it only took a few hours to make, so I thought it would fun fun to try again with different design elements. This time around, instead of ties I made a new bodice with buttons!




After I got started I realized I had enough fabric for two of them, so I made another the same day. The buttons are just for decoration as the dresses really close with Velcro that I sewed beneath on the underside of the straps. I had originally planned to use snaps, but Mom recommended Velcro since the dress is for newborns and she thought it might stay closed better.



I found some navy rickrack in our stash, which worked out perfectly for some details on both dresses. I had to buy the dark blue buttons, but other than that it was completely made of things we already had either in my closet and the sewing room. It's so nice to stash bust!



It’s hard to believe that a baby could actually fit into these because they are so small! When I walked downstairs after finishing the first one my mom thought it was for a doll! But it’s the version for a 9-11 lb baby, so hopefully it will fit on a newborn just fine. And a tiny newborn has to have cute clothes when she's born, right?

5 comments:

  1. Aw! they are adorable Kelsie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are absolutely, positively DARLING..lovely sewing! p.s. My kitten's name is "Milo" (it's a boy). You'll get the name if you've seen the movie "Milo and Otis". =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're so cute Kes! I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I have fun trying to decide what details to put on the different dresses. :o)

    @Celia - Yep, I've seen it. Take lots of pictures cuz kitties grow really fast!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - it will make my day! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...