Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cross Stitch

Growing up Mom wanted to pass on a love of sewing to her three daughters, so when I was ~7? for Christmas I received a little plastic sewing box and a tiny flower cross stitch kit. My little 7-year-old self was very excited until she didn’t count her stitches correctly and her beautiful purple flower turned into a purple blob with a yellow dot in the middle. This little girl was very discouraged, and quickly put the cross stitch away with thoughts that one day she might get it out and rip out all her lovely stitches. But not anytime in the near future...

Well, that day never came – in fact I think I might still have that purple blob somewhere – but about two years ago I did rediscover the art of cross stitching. I received an antique cross stitch sampler set as a gift, and decided to give cross stitching another try... And loved it!



This led to making a wedding gift for a friend…



And about a year ago I started a Paula Vaughn pattern. I’m still working on it, but after much stitching and unstitching those stitches, then stitching them again, there’s finally good progress getting made!



You can’t tell what it is unless you know what it’s supposed to be. Here’s what the finished product will look like, and if you look at the two you should be able to tell where I am.



I will confess; I haven’t always worked on it consistently because even after 9 years I still gets discouraged when ripping out scores of stitches… But I have realized that if every time you make a mistake you stop, you’ll never get anything finished. And I really like finished projects. :o)

3 comments:

  1. Those projects are really beautiful :) The piano looks like it's going to turn out wonderful.
    I remember my mom started me cross-stitching when I was six or seven, as well - I haven't done it in ages, though. Maybe I'll pick it up again!

    ~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, your piano picture is coming along! :) I love your two finished projects- there is nothing like a finished cross stitch picture. You just look at it and think, "Wow, I spent a LOT of time on that..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As ye sew, so ye shall rip!!

    From a veteran cross stitcher and stitch ripper.:)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - it will make my day! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...