For me there has always been something attractive about capes. Enormous hoods call to me, and extremely large lengths of fabric billowing in the wind make the most beautiful shots.
So it was time I had a real cape myself. But I had to decide what I wanted. My sisters had used this pattern, which worked out really well for the body of the cape, but I wasn't sure about the hood. I wanted an Arwen hood that draped perfectly about her face, and I liked the fur inside Susanna's hood.
So with mainly those two women as my fashion inspiration, I set about making my own adjustments to the hood.
And it ended up being MUCH larger than I ever imagined. I realized after the fact that hoods don't just keep getting larger, but are cut smaller about the face. Oops. The down-my-back hood was not exactly what I was going for, but it's really not too bad. I may take it apart and fix it someday, but for now I'm happily content with my cape just as it is. :o)
I decided to use a frog for the closure, as I have always loved the way they look, and I love the finished product so much! It's very simple to use, and looks really good, too. I highly recommend them!
I think this is the most fabric I have ever used at one time, and it was quite an experience! But a good one, and I think my cape will get excellent use for all my winter costuming needs.